Author Question: What happens to the electrons that aren't valence electrons in an atom? (Read 511 times)

CharlieWard

I never understood why we account for 7 valence electrons in Cl but don't use any of the other 8 electrons. I know that it's because it's on the outer shell but can someone explain or lead me to a source that explains why electrons of previous rows don't do anything?

Jkov05

Because only the valence electrons bond. That's just the way it is! Hope this helps, and good luck in your endeavors!

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

Approximately one in three babies in the United States is now delivered by cesarean section. The number of cesarean sections in the United States has risen 46% since 1996.

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library