Author Question: The nurse is trying to explain the different forms of elder abuse to a nursing student. Which ... (Read 18 times)

leo leo

The nurse is trying to explain the different forms of elder abuse to a nursing student. Which statement, if made by the nursing student, would indicate the need for further teaching?

1. Substance abuse and stressful events in the life of the abuser can contribute to the risk of abuse..
  2. The prototypical victim of elder abuse is a white woman over 80 years old who lives in her own home or the home of a family member..
  3. The abuser is most often a child of the patient; the next most likely abuser is a spouse, and the third most likely primary caregivers..
  4. Elder abuse includes any deliberate action, or lack of action, that causes harm to an elderly person..

Question 2

The nurse is completing discharge teaching for a patient who delivered 2 days ago. Which statement by the patient indicates that further information is required?

1. Because I have a midline episiotomy, I should keep my perineum clean.
  2. Soaking in the tub will help my mediolateral episiotomy to heal.
  3. I can take ibuprofen (Motrin) when my perineum starts to hurt.
  4. The tear I have through my rectum is unrelated to my episiotomy.

manuelcastillo

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: It is true that substance abuse and stressful events in the life of the abuser can contribute to the risk.
Rationale 2: It is true that the prototypical victim of elder abuse is a white woman over 80 years old who lives in her own home or the home of a family member.
Rationale 3: The most common abuser is a spouse, followed by family members and then primary caregivers.
Rationale 4: It is true that elder abuse includes any deliberate action, or lack of action, that causes harm to an elderly person.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Perineal hygiene is important when a patient has an episiotomy, to prevent infection and facilitate healing.
Rationale 2: Warm tub baths are helpful to facilitate both comfort and healing of an episiotomy.
Rationale 3: Healing episiotomies can be very painful, and pain medication should be provided for patients experiencing pain.
Rationale 4: This statement is incorrect. Midline episiotomies tend to tear posteriorly toward the rectum.