Author Question: Does streptococcus salivarious have a capsule? (Read 1283 times)

j_sun

First of all, im not asking someone to do my homework so please answer this question if you know it. I have already done plenty of work for that, so dont worry. Im just trying to see if there is an easier way

I am trying to figure out a way to differentiate Streptococcus salivarious from other species of streptococcus. So far i dont have any distinguishing factors. Any help would be really great, thank you.

hummingbird

S. salivarius has distinct characteristics when exposed to different environmental nutrients. For example, in the laboratory, if a SYTA plate is used, then S. salivarius is able to use the sucrose in the SYTA plate to produce a capsule around itself. However, if grown on GYC plate, with no sucrose, instead only glucose, then S. salivarius is not able to make a capsule from glucose.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library