Author Question: Need help with a sociology question on an assignment? (Read 1074 times)

Melanie

This is a question on my sociology homework.  I have been stuck on this question for a good hour or so.  Any help would be appreciated as I am very lost on it.

How would a structural functionalist, conflict theorist, and symbolic interactionist discuss the institutions of religion and K-12 education in the U.S.?

camila

marx would say that religion was the opiate of the masses and say it was the way we were owned and controlled by the capitalist class to keep us under - Durkheim would say that the function of education is to make better citizens and the function of religion is to keep us humane and on the right side of the law symbolic interactionists would probably argue that we would have to know how each participant were symbolising their experience and what their background induction had been religion and education are not perceived as the same by everybody as sub cultures imbue experience with their own meaning.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

As many as 28% of hospitalized patients requiring mechanical ventilators to help them breathe (for more than 48 hours) will develop ventilator-associated pneumonia. Current therapy involves intravenous antibiotics, but new antibiotics that can be inhaled (and more directly treat the infection) are being developed.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library