Author Question: The client has completed the contracted number of crisis clinic visits and tells the nurse I have ... (Read 44 times)

lindiwe

The client has completed the contracted number of crisis clinic visits and tells the nurse I have
  emerged from this as a stronger person. I realize I am not superwoman; it's OK not to have to do
  everything for everybody.

You supported me as I worked through my feelings of loss and helped me
  find community resources. My mother is doing well in the nursing home and I am profiting from a
  support group for the relatives of the residents.. The nurse responds I wonder whether you would
  consider it worthwhile to spend additional time exploring why your feelings about giving up the
  caregiver role were so intense.. When the nurse makes this overture, the assessment can be made
  that
  a. the client is experiencing transference.
  b. the client demonstrates need for continuing support.
  c. the nurse is having difficulty terminating.
  d. the nurse is empathizing client dependency feelings.

Question 2

An appropriate focus for nursing intervention for a client who is in the sixth month of recovery from
  a bipolar episode would be

a. promoting client awareness of personal identity, time, and environment.
  b. assisting the client in performing instrumental activities of daily living.
  c. assisting the client in developing a self-concept beyond illness.
  d. teaching the use of appropriate eye contact.

connor417

Answer to Question 1

C
The nurse's remark is clearly an invitation to work on other problems and prolong contact with the
client. (The focus of crisis intervention is the problem the precipitated the crisis, not other issues.)
Option A: The scenario does not describe transference. Option B: Client need for continuing support
is not demonstrated in the scenario. Option D: The scenario does not describe client dependency
needs the nurse might be empathizing.

Answer to Question 2

C
Recovery refers to the period of time after the relief of symptoms. The focus is on developing and
accomplishing personal goals. Clients are assisted in developing self-confidence, a sense of
well-being and hope, and a self-concept beyond illness. Options A and B would be addressed during
the early stage of treatment, when the focus is illness management. Option D would be addressed for
a client with schizophrenia during social skills training. Clients with bipolar disorder usually make
appropriate eye contact.