Author Question: A.H. will be receiving follow-up visits from the home health care nurse to change his dressing and ... (Read 547 times)

serike

A.H. will be receiving follow-up visits from the home health care nurse to change his dressing and evaluate his incision.

What can you discuss with A.H. before discharge that will
  help him understand what the nurse will be doing?

Question 2

Which statement by A.H. indicates a need for further education?

a. I will report any fever greater than 100  F.
  b. I will avoid heavy lifting for 3 more weeks.
  c. I will call my doctor right away if I notice redness or swelling at the incision.
  d. I will look for color changes in my feet and lower legs.

meow1234

Answer to Question 1

Explain to A.H. that he will be having a home health care nurse visit him after he goes home. The
nurse will take care of his wound and dressing.
 Ask him whether he would like to look at his incision. This will give you an opportunity to teach
him about signs and symptoms of infection or dehiscence. Get a mirror so that he can get a good
look while you point out (with a sterile, gloved hand) the incision line and the normal healing
tissue color. Tell A.H. to keep an eye on the wound to make sure it is not puffy and that there is
nothing oozing from the incision. Let him know that he needs to notify his physician immediately if
he notices any sudden drainage, elevated temperature, or sudden severe abdominal pain.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: b
He should avoid heavy lifting for a period of 6 weeks after surgery to maintain integrity of the
surgical graft.