This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient newly diagnosed with stage I breast cancer is discussing treatment options with the nurse. ... (Read 50 times)

go.lag

A patient newly diagnosed with stage I breast cancer is discussing treatment options with the nurse. Which statement by the patient indicates that additional teaching may be needed?

a. There are several options that I can consider for treating the cancer.
  b. I will probably need radiation to the breast after having the surgery.
  c. Mastectomy is the best choice to decrease the chance of cancer recurrence.
  d. I can probably have reconstructive surgery at the same time as a mastectomy.

Question 2

After a 48-year-old patient has had a modified radical mastectomy, the pathology report identifies the tumor as an estrogen-receptor positive adenocarcinoma. The nurse will plan to teach the patient about

a. estradiol (Estrace).
  b. raloxifene (Evista).
  c. tamoxifen (Nolvadex).
  d. trastuzumab (Herceptin).

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

choc0chan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The survival rates with lumpectomy and radiation or modified radical mastectomy are comparable. The other patient statements indicate a good understanding of stage I breast cancer treatment.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Tamoxifen is used for estrogen-dependent breast tumors in premenopausal women. Raloxifene is used to prevent breast cancer, but it is not used postmastectomy to treat breast cancer. Estradiol will increase the growth of estrogen-dependent tumors. Trastuzumab is used to treat tumors that have the HER-2 receptor.

go.lag

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

skipfourms123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library