This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient newly diagnosed with stage I breast cancer is discussing treatment options with the nurse. ... (Read 52 times)

go.lag

A patient newly diagnosed with stage I breast cancer is discussing treatment options with the nurse. Which statement by the patient indicates that additional teaching may be needed?

a. There are several options that I can consider for treating the cancer.
  b. I will probably need radiation to the breast after having the surgery.
  c. Mastectomy is the best choice to decrease the chance of cancer recurrence.
  d. I can probably have reconstructive surgery at the same time as a mastectomy.

Question 2

After a 48-year-old patient has had a modified radical mastectomy, the pathology report identifies the tumor as an estrogen-receptor positive adenocarcinoma. The nurse will plan to teach the patient about

a. estradiol (Estrace).
  b. raloxifene (Evista).
  c. tamoxifen (Nolvadex).
  d. trastuzumab (Herceptin).

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

choc0chan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The survival rates with lumpectomy and radiation or modified radical mastectomy are comparable. The other patient statements indicate a good understanding of stage I breast cancer treatment.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Tamoxifen is used for estrogen-dependent breast tumors in premenopausal women. Raloxifene is used to prevent breast cancer, but it is not used postmastectomy to treat breast cancer. Estradiol will increase the growth of estrogen-dependent tumors. Trastuzumab is used to treat tumors that have the HER-2 receptor.

go.lag

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ebonylittles

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Liver spots have nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. They are a type of freckles commonly seen in older adults who have been out in the sun without sufficient sunscreen.

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library