This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient newly diagnosed with breast cancer tells the nurse, I'm worried I won't survive to see my ... (Read 30 times)

A patient newly diagnosed with breast cancer tells the nurse, I'm worried I won't survive to see my children grow up. Which response by the nurse best conveys concern and active listening?

1) There have been many advances in breast cancer treatment; hope for the best.
  2) Breast cancer is a serious disease; I can understand why you're worried.
  3) You're strong and have youth on your side to fight the breast cancer.
  4) I'd be worried too; I've seen a lot of patients die from breast cancer.

Question 2

The wife of an elderly patient begins crying after she is informed that he is has a terminal illness. Which intervention by the nurse is best?

1) Sit quietly with the patient's wife and allow her to compose her thoughts.
  2) Inform the wife that a chaplain is available if she would like to speak to him.
  3) Remind the wife that her husband has lived a long and useful life.
  4) Tell the wife there are always options and suggest she not give up hope.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cpetit11

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
:D TYSM

CAPTAINAMERICA

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

Did you know?

Carbamazepine can interfere with the results of home pregnancy tests. If you are taking carbamazepine, do not try to test for pregnancy at home.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library