This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following statements apply to VAP and respiratory therapy equipment? I. Patients are ... (Read 13 times)

sjones

Which of the following statements apply to VAP and respiratory therapy equipment? I. Patients are more likely to develop VAP from secretions aspirated past the ETT cuff than through the ETT. II. HMEs and heated tubing have no difference in VAP rates. III. Drugs aerosolized in-line may become contaminated by reflux of tubing condensate. IV. Closed suction systems reduce the incidence of VAP compared with open system suction catheters.

A. I, III only
  B. I, II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. I, II, III, IV

Question 2

Which of the following factors facilitate aspiration? I. using muscle relaxants II. assuming a semirecumbent position III. applying endotracheal tube cuff pressures greater than 25 cm H2O IV. using small diameter feeding tubes

A. I only
  B. I, IV only
  C. I, II, III only
  D. II, III, IV only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

gstein359

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: Ventilator tubing, humidifiers, in-line medication nebulizers, and suction catheters play a role in the development of VAP. Patients are more likely to develop VAP from secretions aspirated past the ETT cuff than through the ETT. No difference exists between heated tubing and HMEs in terms of risk of developing VAP. In-line medication nebulizers may become contaminated by reflux of tubing condensate. Closed system and open system suction catheters have the same rate of incidence of VAP.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: The endotracheal tube increases the risk of developing pneumonia. Despite the cuff of the endotracheal tube, aspiration has been detected in 20 to 77 of intubated patients. Factors that facilitate aspiration are the supine position, low endotracheal tube cuff pressure (>20 to 25 cm H2O), heavy sedation, large size feeding tubes, and muscle relaxants.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A

sjones

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

amynguyen1221

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library