This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing patient education to a parent whose child has been prescribed liquid pyrantel ... (Read 21 times)

Caiter2013

The nurse is providing patient education to a parent whose child has been prescribed liquid pyrantel (Pin-Rid) for hookworms. Which statement by the patient best demonstrates understanding of the administration of this drug?

a. I will warm the medication before administration.
  b. I will mix the medicine in 8 ounces of juice.
  c. I will give two doses of the medication the first day.
  d. I will have my child drink the entire dose of the liquid at one time.

Question 2

The head nurse is orienting a new nurse to the operating room (OR). Which action by the new nurse during the surgical hand antisepsis would cause the head nurse to be concerned?

a. The nurse removes her wedding band.
  b. The nurse cleanses debris from underneath artificial fingernails.
  c. The nurse cleanses the hands for 3 minutes.
  d. The nurse uses an alcohol-based surgical hand scrub persistently.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

wergv

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The parent should make sure the child drinks the entire dose of pyrantel at one time to facilitate absorption and movement through the bowel to eradicate the worms.
The medication need not be warmed.
The pyrantel should not be mixed with juice, because the child is less likely to drink it.
Giving the child a double dose on the first day is incorrect; nothing indicates that this medication requires a loading dose.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Artificial fingernails are prohibited in the hospital setting for health care personnel who work directly with patients; they especially would be forbidden in the OR, where the risk of infection should be as small as possible.
The nurse should remove any jewelry and should cleanse the hands for 2 to 6 minutes.
An alcohol-based surgical hand scrub may be used if it is used according to the manufacturer's directions.

Caiter2013

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

smrtceo

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

Anti-aging claims should not ever be believed. There is no supplement, medication, or any other substance that has been proven to slow or stop the aging process.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library