This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Much of Brownies is very funny. What role does humor have in thestory? What will be an ideal ... (Read 241 times)

OSWALD

Much of Brownies is very funny. What role does humor have in thestory?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

What is the effect of having Laurel (nicknamed Snot) narrate the story?

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mohan

Answer to Question 1

• It is often said that humor helps us listen to difficult subjects or be open to things that wed rather not hear. The humor in Brownies feels particularly Southern, as if we are reading a story by Flannery OConnor (which makes sense as the story is set in Georgia). The humor offsets this dark and disturbing story by providing some lighthearted moments.

ZZ Packers dialogue is often droll. For example, Octavia says, I mean, I really dont know why its even called campingall we ever do with Nature is find some twigs and say something like, Wow, this fell from a tree (par. 44). The story also brims with religious humor. In paragraph 6, it is particularly funny when Laurel describes that Mrs. Margolin was especially fond of imparting religious aphorisms by means of acrosticsSatan was the Serpent Always Tempting and Noisome; shed refer to the Bible as Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth (par. 6). Lastly, Packers descriptions of the adult women is especially funny and shows Laurels erudition and wit. For example, the leader of Troop 909 has a severe pageboy hairdo of an ancient Egyptian who lays on a picnic blanket, sphinx-like, while eating a banana (par. 40). Later, when the tearful white girls all crowd around her, it reminded Laurel of a hog Id seen on a field trip, where all the little hogs gathered about the mother at feeding time (par. 148).

Answer to Question 2

• Brownies could not be effectively narrated by any character other than Laurel. She listens, she observes, and she critiques the behavior of her own Brownie troop. Although she is not courageous enough to refuse to participate in her groups victimization of Troop 909, she is critical of Arnettas choices.

However quietly she does so at first, Laurel is the only girl who verbally challenges Arnettas assertion that Troop 909 called Daphne a nigger by saying, Maybe you didnt hear them right (par. 36). Later, during Arnettas secret meeting, Laurel says even more boldly, but what if they say, We didnt say that? We didnt call anyone an N-I-G-G-E-R (par. 62). Arnettas reply to Laurels reasonable objection is, Snot, dont think. Just fight. If you even know how (par. 63). That brusque dismissal demonstrates Laurels outsider status even though she is also a part of this group. This perspective gives her some objectivity as she looks at the camping experience with a critical and observant eye. However, Laurel is not strong enough to fight against Arnetta and the group mentality that wants revenge. As the girls travel through the woods to find Troop 909, the narrator confesses, I felt I was part of the rest of the troop; like I was defending something (par. 62). Even though she has no idea what they are defending, she gives into a group mentality echoed in Shirley Jacksons story The Lottery. Similarly, Brownies shows that people sometimes follow a vicious leader because of tradition, fear, and self-preservation.

OSWALD

Reply 2 on: Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

connor417

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

It is widely believed that giving a daily oral dose of aspirin to heart attack patients improves their chances of survival because the aspirin blocks the formation of new blood clots.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library