Author Question: What is escape velocity from the center of the Earth? (Read 936 times)

hummingbird

Escape velocity on the surface is 11.2 km/s.

If a hole is drilled to the center of the Earth, then what initial velocity should have the projectile launched from the center of the Earth in order to escape to the infinity?

curlz

An interesting question which I haven't encountered before.  I won't run the numbers, but I'll outline the solution: the total kinetic energy required will be that needed to reach infinity from the surface, plus that required to reach the surface from the center.  The former is easily determined from the stated escape velocity; the latter can be determined by integrating the gravitational force from zero to the surface.  Although the value of this depends on the earth's density at various depths, it is an adequate approximation to assume that the density is constant throughout, and in that case the gravitational pull is simply a linear function of the distance to the center, and the integral will be proportional to the square of that distance.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Sandstorm

Brilliant question, simple answer (I think).

First dropping an apple towards the earth's center.  Its velocity should peak at the velocity of low earth orbit which is Escape Velocity/sqr(2).  (This assumes uniform density).

Therefore, using Conservation of Energy
Escape V center of Earth = sqr(Escape V^2 + (EscapeV/sqr(2))^2)
=sqr(1.5) * Escape V

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

Pubic lice (crabs) are usually spread through sexual contact. You cannot catch them by using a public toilet.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library