Author Question: How do I get my 8yr old to remember his homework and whats should his punishment be? (Read 4288 times)

Jones

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Hungry!

Work with the teacher to check his book bag to see that he has his homework with him.  It seems he may be lazy, and discouraged to do his homework.  Work with him as a team, make it fun and he may be encouraged to bring it home.  You may also ask the teacher to email a copy of the homework so that you're prepared to do his homework with him when he gets home.  Create a chart with all his subjects on it, kinda like a report card, and have the teacher circle and initial the subjects in which he has homework, and she can also see that he has it in his bag when he leaves school.  If your schedule permits (which it may not if you're a working mom) try and pick him up from school.  When he sees you're taking this very seriously, he may take it seriously as well. Punishing him may frustrate him and anger him.  TV should never be allowed until the homework and studying are complete.  Many parents see the TV as entertainment so that they can do what they have to do, without looking after the child.  That's a no-no in our house.

Yolanda

when i would forget my homework my parents take things away from me that i enjoy doing. like xbox360 computer friends and so on and so on so i stopped forgeting things because when i wanted to play xbox and my mom would say oh i forgot where the cable was i would be board until i made it up.

camila

(probably not going to work if you don't pick him up or you get home way after he does but)

Take him back up there (or don't let him in the car until you have checked to see if he has it) and get his homework, make him do it as soon as he gets home and if he "forgets it" and you have to wait or go back up to the school then take something away, like tv, radio, outdoors play, ETC. and every time he forgets take things away longer and add an extra item to be taken away.

curlz

Have the teacher call you when he has some home work.
Put an outside lock on his door, and throw him and his homework in there, with no toys or anything else. Then lock the door, and check on him from time to time to make sure he is doing it.
Once he realizes you mean business, you can keep the door unlocked.

Sandstorm

First since you know he forgets, make arrangements with the school if it is possible to email his homework.  If not, at 8yr someone has to be home when he gets home, and you can verify he has it if not make him go back and get it.  If he is on a school bus then you will have to drive him back, before the school closes.  Now that just handles him getting his homework.  With a lot of parents their kids have way too much stuff. Like Cell phones, Game boys, Xbox, Videos, computers, ECT.  I am not sure what your son has, but every time you have to take him back to get his homework, he can not play with anything else.  Even after he does his homework.  He should soon remember.

Melanie

your 8 year old needs discipline in his life.

what you need to make sure he remembers to do his homework is have alotted times to do homework and alotted times to do other activities such as tv or fun.

say when you get back from work like around 6 pm, right after dinner, say it is time to do homework from 6-8 pm. then, tell him if he slacks off during this time, he will not get tv time after. if he does his homework and completes it all, then reward him with television and video games or let him play with his friends. of course all of this before his bed time or even the next day.

Melanie

Well you could talk to the teachers some schools actually send out home work e-mails when they know there is a problem with the student taking the homework home or you can do it like my parents did and have him write down his homework in a small book everyday (in ink so it cant be changed)  and have the teachers sign it after the lesson. As far as age appropriate punishments take away his privileges starting with his PC (or PC time) Playstation, TV time, anything thats any kind of fun, so he gets the picture. But before you start this your should actually sit down with him and explain how it will work and what the consequences will be so he has the choice and than be consequent about it.

Melanie

Try discussing it with his teacher.

She will know how he behaves in class(don't be surprised if it's different from how he behaves around his parents), and he or she will definitely have experience with kids conveniently forgetting their homework.

coco

A good spanking cures a lot of memory problems of this sort because it probably has little to do with his memory.

Did you know?

According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, lung disease is the third leading killer in the United States, responsible for one in seven deaths. It is the leading cause of death among infants under the age of one year.

Did you know?

Approximately one in four people diagnosed with diabetes will develop foot problems. Of these, about one-third will require lower extremity amputation.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library