This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient exhibiting problems with his or her thyroid has been scheduled for a radioactive scan. ... (Read 63 times)

CharlieWard

A patient exhibiting problems with his or her thyroid has been scheduled for a radioactive scan. From the following list of patients, what would the nurse question as to whether this would be a safe procedure for this patient?

A)
  An adult patient having an episode of wheezing from allergies
  B)
  A young female patient who has been trying to get pregnant
  C)
  A middle-aged male patient with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus
  D)
  An elderly patient who has a history of aortic stenosis

Question 2

A 71-year-old male has been recently diagnosed with a stage III tumor of colorectal cancer and is attempting to increase his knowledge base of his diagnosis.

Which of the following statements about colorectal cancer demonstrates a sound understanding of the disease?
  A)
  If accurate screening test for this type of cancer existed, it could likely have been caught earlier.
  B)
  The NSAIDs and aspirin that I've been taking for many years probably contributing to me getting cancer.
  C)
  While diet is thought to play a role in the development of colorectal cancer, the ultimate causes are largely unknown.
  D)
  A large majority of patients who have my type of colon cancer survive to live many more years.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

TheNamesImani

Answer to Question 1

Ans:
B

Radioactive iodine therapy is contraindicated in pregnant women because 131I crosses the placenta and can adversely affect the fetal thyroid gland. The other clients would have no contraindication to the substance.

Answer to Question 2

Ans:
C

The etiology of cancer of the colon and rectum remains largely unidentified, though dietary factors are thought to exist. The prognosis, especially with stage III tumors, is poor. Simple and accurate screening tests do exist for colorectal cancer, while drugs are not implicated in the etiology.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library