This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse educator is performing client education with a 51-year-old man who has been recently ... (Read 19 times)

mmm

A nurse educator is performing client education with a 51-year-old man who has been recently diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. Which of the following statements by the client would the nurse most likely want to correct or clarify?

A)
  I'll be prone to anemia, since I'm not producing as much of the hormone that causes my bones to produce red blood cells.
  B)
  My heart rate might go up because of my kidney disease, and my blood might be a lot thinner than it should be.
  C)
  My kidney problems increase my chance of developing high blood pressure or diabetes.
  D)
  I'll have a risk of either bleeding too easily or possibly clotting too quickly, though dialysis can help minimize these effects.

Question 2

A 55-year-old male client with a history of cardiovascular disease has been admitted to the intensive care unit after recovering from cardiogenic shock.

In the hours since admission, the client's arterial blood gases indicate acidosis, most likely acute lactic acidosis. Which of the following signs, symptoms, and diagnostic findings might his care team anticipate before the acid-base balance is restored? Select all that apply.
  A)
  Decreased pH
  B)
  Cardiac dysrhythmias
  C)
  Decreased alertness and cognition
  D)
  Hypoventilation
  E)
  Nausea and vomiting

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

memslove

Answer to Question 1

Ans:
C

While high blood pressure can be causative of, or consequent to, renal failure, diabetes is not normally a result of existing CKD. Persons with renal failure are indeed prone to anemia, increased heart rate, decreased blood viscosity, and coagulopathies. The risk of bleeding and thrombotic disorders can be partially mitigated by dialysis.

Answer to Question 2

Ans:
A, B, C, E

As with any form of acidosis, pH is apt to be lower than normal. Metabolic acidosis is also associated with dysrhythmias, decreased alertness, and nausea and vomiting. Respiration is likely to be increased in both rate and depth.

mmm

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

bassamabas

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library