This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In which of the following hospital patients would the care team most realistically anticipate ... (Read 65 times)

notis

In which of the following hospital patients would the care team most realistically anticipate finding normal cholesterol levels?

A)
  A 44-year-old male admitted for hyperglycemia and with a history of diabetic neuropathy
  B)
  A 77-year-old female admitted for rheumatoid arthritis exacerbation who is receiving hormone replacement therapy and with a history of hypothyroidism
  C)
  A 51-year-old male with a diagnosis of hemorrhagic stroke and consequent unilateral weakness
  D)
  A morbidly obese 50-year-old female who is taking diuretics and a beta-blocker to treat her hypertension

Question 2

A group of novice nursing students are learning how to manually measure a client's blood pressure using a stethoscope and sphygmomanometer. Which of the following statements by students would the instructor most likely need to correct?

A)
  I'll inflate the cuff around 30 mm Hg above the point at which I can't palpate the client's pulse.
  B)
  If my client's arm is too big for the cuff, I'm going to get a BP reading that's artificially low.
  C)
  The accuracy of the whole process depends on my ability to clearly hear the Korotkoff sounds with the bell of my stethoscope.
  D)
  With practice, my measurement of clients' blood pressures with this method will be more accurate than with automated machines.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ahernandez18

Answer to Question 1

Ans:
C

Hemorrhagic stroke is not a pathology noted to be associated with secondary hypercholesterolemi a. Diabetes, thyroid medications, estrogen therapy, obesity, and beta-blocker medications are all correlated with hypercholesterolemi a.

Answer to Question 2

Ans:
B

Undercuffing yields a blood pressure reading that is overestimated. The cuff should indeed be inflated to 30 mm Hg above palpated systolic pressure and is both dependent on clear auscultation of the Korotkoff sounds. The properly performed manual method is more accurate than automated measurement.

notis

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

scottmt

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

All adults should have their cholesterol levels checked once every 5 years. During 2009–2010, 69.4% of Americans age 20 and older reported having their cholesterol checked within the last five years.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

More than nineteen million Americans carry the factor V gene that causes blood clots, pulmonary embolism, and heart disease.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library