This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A woman has a long-running compulsion to repeatedly check if the doors of her home are locked and ... (Read 103 times)

soccerdreamer_17

A woman has a long-running compulsion to repeatedly check if the doors of her home are locked and has received a diagnosis of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

Her husband is at a loss to understand her irrational behavior and has sought help from a therapist himself to deal with the effect that his wife's OCD is having on their daily lives. Which of the husband's following statements would require correction?
  A)
  It's a relief to know that this can be changed if she continues with therapy and the medications she's been prescribed.
  B)
  It's odd that someone like her and someone who's depressed might both respond positively to the same drugs.
  C)
  I thought that this was something exceedingly rare, but I'm actually a bit relieved to learn that others have this disorder as well.
  D)
  I'm glad that this is something that's a result of life stressors and is not associated with any dysfunction in her brain.

Question 2

A 57-year-old female has presented to a clinic exasperated by the effect that restless legs syndrome is having on her sleep. The clinician has performed client teaching prior to choosing a treatment plan.

Which of the following responses by the client demonstrates a sound understanding of her condition?
  A)
  Increasing my calcium intake is something simple that might help.
  B)
  Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation might be a treatment that can help me avoid needing drugs for this.
  C)
  This could be something that I'm simply prone to genetically.
  D)
  I'll try to get more exercise, since there aren't really any effective medications for restless legs syndrome.