This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: S.R. is a 59-year-old man who comes to the clinic because his wife complains my snoring is difficult ... (Read 933 times)

FButt

S.R. is a 59-year-old man who comes to the clinic because his wife complains my snoring is difficult to live with.

As the clinic nurse, what routine information would you want to obtain from S.R.?

Question 2

After interviewing S.R., you note the following: S.R. is under considerable stress. He owns his own business. The stress of overseeing his employees, meeting deadlines, and carrying out negotiations has led to poor sleep habits.

He sleeps 3 to 4 hours per night. He keeps himself going by drinking 2 quarts of coffee and smoking
  three to four packs of cigarettes per day. He has gained 50 pounds over the 2 years, leading to a current weight
  of 250 pounds. He complains of difficulty staying awake, wakes up with headaches on most mornings, and has
  midmorning somnolence. He states that he is depressed and irritable most of the time and reports difficulty
  concentrating and learning new things. He has been involved in three auto accidents in the past year.
  S.R.'s vital signs are 164/90, 92, 18, and Spo2 90 on room air. His examination findings are normal,
  except for a few bruises over the right side of the rib cage. You inquire about the bruises, and S.R. reports
  that his wife jabs him with her elbow several times every night. In her own defense, the wife states, Well,
  he stops breathing and I get worried, so I jab him to make him start breathing again. If I don't jab him, I
  find myself listening for his next breath and I can't go to sleep. You suspect sleep apnea.

Identify two of the main types of apnea, and explain the pathology of each.

Based on your findings, which type of sleep apnea do you believe S.R. has?

Identify at least five signs or symptoms of this type of sleep apnea, and put a star next to those symptoms that S.R. is experiencing.

How does the provider use diagnostic testing to diagnose sleep apnea?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

marict

Answer to Question 1

Vital signs (VS) and O2 saturation
Pertinent medical history: lung diseases such as asthma or emphysema, diabetes mellitus,
hypothyroidism
Environmental factors: wood-burning stove, animals in the home (especially birds and cats)
Pertinent nasal problems: deviated septum, chronic sinusitis
Allergies: particularly airborne particles such as animal dander, dust mites, cockroach droppings
Medications he is currently taking: opioids, modafinil (Provigil), amphetamines (prescribed and
illegal), over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, and herbals

Answer to Question 2

Central sleep apnea: This type of apnea is less common and occurs when the brain fails to send the
appropriate signals to the inspiratory muscles to initiate respiration. There is no respiratory effort.
It may be seen with central nervous system (CNS) lesions, such as in stroke or brain stem trauma.
Cheyne-Stokes respirations are common with this syndrome.
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA): This type of apnea is more common. It is caused by airflow obstruction
during sleep because of narrowed air passages from relaxed muscle tone or the tongue and
the soft palate falling backward and partially or completely obstructing the pharynx. Each
obstruction lasts from 10 to 90 seconds. During the apneic period, the patient develops
hypoxemia and hypercapnia, which eventually stimulate respirations. The patient may arouse
with a startle, snort, and/or gasp. These frequent awakenings interrupt the normal sleep cycle.
The actual cause of OSA is unknown, but sleep apnea is a potentially life-threatening condition.

S.R.'s history suggests a diagnosis of OSA.

Cessation of respiration during sleep, usually followed by gasping for breath
 Excessive daytime somnolence or fatigue
 Reports of not feeling rested in the morning
 Memory loss
 Poor judgment
 Lethargy
 High BP
 Confusion
 Headache
 Weight gain

Thorough physical examination, focusing on an examination of the upper airway, is performed to
detect any assessment abnormalities.
 An overnight screening oximetry test is done to determine whether the patient desaturates during sleep.
 Polysomnography is the gold standard for diagnosis, and it is often done if desaturation is
detected during overnight screening oximetry. It is usually conducted in a sleep laboratory. A
portable sleep study in the home may be done in certain circumstances.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library