Author Question: Fortunately, J.F. has a supportive husband and two daughters who live nearby who can function as ... (Read 28 times)

Ebrown

Fortunately, J.F. has a supportive husband and two daughters who live nearby who can function as caregivers when J.F. is discharged. They, along with J.F., will need teaching about endocarditis.

Although J.F.vhas been ill for several years, you discover that she and her family have received little education about the
  disease. You prepare a teaching plan for the family.

List six things you will teach J.F. and her family.

Question 2

After you have taught J.F. about oral hygiene, which statement by J.F. reflects a need for further education?

a. I will remove my bridge after every meal and clean it thoroughly before replacing it.
  b. I will use a water irrigation device to clean my teeth and gums.
  c. I will use a soft toothbrush to brush my teeth.
  d. I will rinse my mouth thoroughly with water after brushing my teeth.

ryansturges

Answer to Question 1

Teach J.F. and family proper handwashing technique.
 Explain the disease process and the purpose of treatment procedures. Include the anatomy and
physiology of the disease.
 Teach her to read a thermometer accurately and to consult a physician regarding a temperature
greater than 101  F (38.3  C).
 Teach the importance of informing dentists and other health care personnel about her history of
endocarditis before having any procedures performed and to notify her dentist at the first signs of
oral infection or gum disease.
 Instruct her to carry emergency identification at all times.
 Teach about actions and side effects of medications.
 Teach signs and symptoms (S/S) of infection and phlebitis associated with the PICC line.
 Teach S/S of impeded or rapid flow of medication solutions.
 Teach about the use of the IV pump.
 Teach care of PICC line for intermittent antibiotic medications (flushing before and after
medications).
 Teach family to document date and time of all infusions started and completed.
 Teach J.F. and family regarding positioning of site with the PICC line
 Teach J.F. and family when to contact an on-call RN and/or physician.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: b
Patients with endocarditis should not use oral irrigation devices or floss their teeth because this
might result in bacteremia.