This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: What could M.P. be doing that is causing her nocturia? What will be an ideal ... (Read 23 times)

geoffrey

What could M.P. be doing that is causing her nocturia?

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

M.P. is a 65-year-old African American woman who comes to your clinic for a follow-up visit. She was diagnosed with hypertension (HTN) 2 months ago and was given a prescription for a thiazide diuretic but stopped taking it 2 weeks ago because

it made me dizzy and I kept getting up during the night to empty my bladder. During today's clinic visit, she expresses fear because her mother died of a cerebrovascular
  accident (CVA, stroke) at M.P.'s age, and M.P. is afraid she will suffer the same fate. She states, I've never
  smoked and I don't drink, but I am so afraid of this high blood pressure. You review the data from her past
  clinic visits.

Family History
  Mother, died at age 65 years of CVA
  Father, died at age 67 years of myocardial infarction (MI)
  Sister, alive and well, age 62 years
  Brother, alive, age 70 years, has coronary artery disease (CAD), HTN, type II diabetes
  mellitus (DM)
  Patient Past History
  Married for 45 years, two children, alive and well, six grandchildren
  Cholecystectomy, age 42 years
  Hysterectomy, age 48 years
  Blood Pressure Assessments
  January 2: 150/92
  January 31: 156/94 (Given prescription for hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ 25 mg PO every
  morning)
  February 28: 140/90

According to the most recent guidelines from the Joint National Committee on Prevention,
  Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure, M.P.'s blood pressure (BP)
  falls under which classification?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Eazy416

Answer to Question 1

She could be taking the HCTZ in the late afternoon or evening, instead of in the morning. Diuretics,
such as HCTZ, should be taken in the morning so that the diuretic effects do not disturb sleep.

Answer to Question 2

Stage 1 hypertension (defined as systolic BP from 140 to 159 mm Hg or diastolic BP from 90 to 99 mm
Hg) on each of two or more office visits. Instructors may refer to the guidelines, the most recent
information from the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment
of High Blood Pressure (JNC 9).

geoffrey

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

dawsa925

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Though “Krazy Glue” or “Super Glue” has the ability to seal small wounds, it is not recommended for this purpose since it contains many substances that should not enter the body through the skin, and may be harmful.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library