Author Question: The paranoid schizophrenic patient states that his whole family has conspired to have him put in the ... (Read 69 times)

luvbio

The paranoid schizophrenic patient states that his whole family has conspired to have him put in the hospital and that the medical staff are part of the conspiracy. Which is the nurse's most the-rapeutic response?

a. I promise that I want to help you.
  b. You know your family is concerned about you.
  c. I'm sorry you feel that way. I'll be around if you want to talk about your feelings.
  d. The doctors are trying to help you feel better. They have your best interest in mind.

Question 2

Which statement causes the nurse to document a schizophrenic patient's delusion of persecution?

a. Did you know that I own this hospital and pay all these people to work for me?
  b. My doctor talked to all the other patients, but not to me. He doesn't want me to get well.
  c. The president's speech tonight is going to give me a coded message.
  d. I am going to wait in front of the hospital this morning for my limousine to pick me up and take me to my private jet.

amanda_14

Answer to Question 1

C
Arguing with the paranoid patient, or defending self or others, reinforces the paranoia. Passively offering self to the patient to approach you rather than the other way around is helpful to the nursepatient relationship.

Answer to Question 2

B
Delusions can be either grandiose or persecutory. An individual who believes he owns the hos-pital or is planning to be picked up by a limousine or has a private jet is having delusions of grandeur. Individuals with delusions of persecution believe that they are being persecuted by agencies, by other people, or by supernatural beings. The patient who believes the president's speech is coded is having an idea of reference.