This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is educating an older adult patient with reduced cortisol levels. Which statement ... (Read 28 times)

AEWBW

The nurse is educating an older adult patient with reduced cortisol levels. Which statement indicates that the patient accurately understands the nurse's teaching?

a. I should avoid crowds because low cor-tisol levels weaken my immune system.
  b. I should keep stress to a minimum be-cause low cortisol levels make it harder for my body to deal with stress.
  c. I should avoid hot climates because low cortisol levels impact temperature regula-tion.
  d. I should avoid salty foods because low cortisol levels keep my body from processing sodium.

Question 2

During the acute phase following a myocardial infarction (MI), the nurse anticipates that the patient may require a temporary pacemaker in which situation(s)? (Select all that apply.)

a. The patient's heart rate remains above 120 beats/min.
  b. The patient experiences worsening anginal pain.
  c. The patient experiences complete heart block.
  d. The patient's systolic BP drops to 60.
  e. The patient's pulse rate remains below 40 beats/min.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bblaney

Answer to Question 1

B
Cortisol is a mineralocorticoid produced by the adrenal glands. Cortisol acts to increase glucose levels in the blood. Cortisol also helps counteract the inflammatory response. The reduced pro-duction of cortisol hinders the older adult in dealing with stress.

Answer to Question 2

C, E
A temporary pacemaker is warranted when the patient's pulse consistently remains below 40 beats/min and when the patient experiences complete heart block. Complete heart block means that the electrical impulse for contraction does not go through the atrioventricular node to the ventricles and the ventricles are not signaled to contract. Tachycardia, above 100, continued an-gina pain, and hypotension are not correct indications for a pacemaker.

AEWBW

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

phuda

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

Did you know?

Adults are resistant to the bacterium that causes Botulism. These bacteria thrive in honey – therefore, honey should never be given to infants since their immune systems are not yet resistant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library