Author Question: The nurse is preparing to administer liquid laxative to a patient in preparation for a colonoscopy. ... (Read 42 times)

Mollykgkg

The nurse is preparing to administer liquid laxative to a patient in preparation for a colonoscopy. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Offer a small snack.
  b. Take the patient's temperature.
  c. Mix the laxative with orange juice.
  d. Chill the laxative and pour it over ice.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient in the initial hours after having surgery to manage an enlarged prostate. The patient's postoperative care includes continuous bladder irrigation.

Which statement indicates the patient understands the nurse's teaching?
  a. I will be discharged home in about 6 hours.
  b. My urine will likely be a dark tea color as a result of the blood it contains.
  c. I will need to have my bladder irrigated for the first 2 to 3 days.
  d. I should report any bladder spasm imme-diately because it may indicate a serious complication.

heinisk01

Answer to Question 1

D
Chilling the laxative or pouring it over ice makes the drink more palatable and easier to swallow. The nurse should not offer any food, as the accuracy of the test depends on adequate bowel prep. The laxative does not affect the patient's temperature. Mixing the laxative with another substance can make it difficult to judge how much the patient actually consumed if any liquid is remaining.

Answer to Question 2

C
The patient will require continuous bladder irrigation or approximately 2 to 3 days. The patient will stay in the hospital for several days. Bloody urine that is red, pink, or watermelon colored is normal during the initial postoperative period. Tea color urine is not associated with this surgical procedure. Bladder spasms are normal and do not necessarily signal complications.