Author Question: The nurse is interviewing a patient who is seeking assistance at the urology clinic for erectile ... (Read 96 times)

jjjetplane

The nurse is interviewing a patient who is seeking assistance at the urology clinic for erectile dysfunction. Which statement is the best way to open the interview?

a. When was the last time you were impo-tent?
  b. Do you attempt to have intercourse every week?
  c. What medications have you tried pre-viously?
  d. What experiences have you had with erectile dysfunction?

Question 2

A patient with glomerulonephritis has an order to undergo plasmapheresis. Which statement indicates that the patient accurately understands teaching about the procedure?

a. This procedure removes my affected plasma and gives me a clean replacement.
  b. This procedure will use the IV in my hand.
  c. I will need to lie very still while the pic-tures are taken.
  d. I should drink this contrast with a straw to keep it from staining my teeth.

asware1

Answer to Question 1

D
Asking open-ended questions will help the patient respond with information that can be used in a plan of care.

Answer to Question 2

A
Plasmapheresis is a blood cleansing procedure used in autoimmune disorders, such as acute glo-merulonephritis or myasthenia gravis (see Chapter 24). Much like hemodialysis, plasmapheresis uses a special filter to remove plasma and wash it to eliminate antibodies. If treatment is not successful, the disease will rapidly progress to kidney failure and death. The patient's blood is accessed through a shunt or a CVC, not a peripheral intravenous (IV) line. This procedure does not involve imaging or contrast.