This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement is most important for the nurse to make when caring for an anxious patient with a ... (Read 27 times)

s.tung

Which statement is most important for the nurse to make when caring for an anxious patient with a new tracheostomy?

a. I have cared for patients who were able to have the tracheostomy reversed.
  b. I will be efficient and give care quickly.
  c. I will wait until your tracheostomy heals before teaching.
  d. I understand that you might be apprehen-sive.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient who has a tracheostomy with a one-way valve box. The nurse explains to the CNA that this valve allows the patient to carry out which function?

a. Drinking
  b. Eating
  c. Coughing
  d. Talking

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

janieazgirl

Answer to Question 1

D
Offering reassurance to a patient who cannot speak is essential. Care should be unhurried with teaching and conversation. Offering false reassurance or mentioning what other patients have done is inappropriate. Giving care quickly or with minimal conversation may cause further an-xiety. Teaching cannot be delayed until the tracheostomy is healed.

Answer to Question 2

D
A one-way tracheostomy valve box can be fitted into the tube opening. It allows air to be inhaled through the tracheostomy opening, but the valve closes when the patient exhales. This diverts the exhaled air through the larynx and enables the patient to speak.

s.tung

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

tkempin

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

In 2010, opiate painkllers, such as morphine, OxyContin®, and Vicodin®, were tied to almost 60% of drug overdose deaths.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library