Author Question: The nurse is discussing the postoperative period with a patient with a corneal transplant. Which ... (Read 34 times)

newbem

The nurse is discussing the postoperative period with a patient with a corneal transplant. Which statement indicates that the patient displays realistic expectations about vision improvement?

a. I will have my full vision restored within 48 to 72 hours.
  b. It will take about 24 hours before I see improvement in my vision.
  c. My vision will show improvement in about 2 weeks.
  d. It may take about a month before my vi-sion shows improvement.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient with severe congestive heart failure (CHF) who denies pain and is fearful of taking prescribed morphine. Which explanation best works to alleviate the patient's anxiety about risk of addiction?

a. Many people with CHF use morphine for pain control.
  b. We can treat your pain with aspirin or ibuprofen.
  c. Morphine has properties that help relieve air hunger in CHF patients.
  d. You can refuse to take it.

mjenn52

Answer to Question 1

C
Increasing visual acuity may take up to 2 weeks before improvement in vision is noted.

Answer to Question 2

C
The primary purpose of morphine is its relief of air hunger and anxiety. Nonsteroidal an-ti-inflammatory drugs do not have the same vasodilation properties as morphine. Telling the pa-tient that many CHF patients take morphine provides a generalized statement that does not the-rapeutically address the patient's anxiety or confusion about the medication. Telling the patient that he may refuse is a dismissive, nontherapeutic response.