Author Question: The postanesthesia care unit (PACU) nurse determines that the patient's Aldrete score is 9 . Which ... (Read 122 times)

magmichele12

The postanesthesia care unit (PACU) nurse determines that the patient's Aldrete score is 9 . Which statement correctly describes the meaning of this score?

a. The patient is at an increased risk for postoperative respiratory complications.
  b. The patient's condition warrants close monitoring.
  c. The patient is experiencing severe pain.
  d. The patient will soon be transferred to the postoperative unit.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient who has had an arthrocentesis. The nurse has completed discharge instructions. Which statement indicates the patient needs further instruction?

a. I should avoid moving my knee for at least 2 weeks.
  b. The steroids prescribed by my physician will reduce the inflammation in my knee.
  c. Some pain is anticipated.
  d. My elastic bandage will be worn for 2 to 3 days.

Zack0mack0101@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

D
The Aldrete scoring system is a method of determining readiness for a surgery patient to be transferred from PACU to the postoperative unit. Scores are given for activity, respiration, cir-culation, consciousness, skin color, and oxygen saturation. A score of 9 or 10 indicates readiness for transfer.

Answer to Question 2

A
The patient with the arthrocentesis will be instructed to avoid overuse of the joint; however, it may be moved in moderation. Steroids will be prescribed to limit inflammation. Pain is antic-ipated and analgesics will likely be prescribed. Elastic bandages are frequently worn for 2 to 3 days.