Author Question: Which factor(s) may contribute to hypothermia during surgery? (Select all that apply.) a. Warm ... (Read 43 times)

cherise1989

Which factor(s) may contribute to hypothermia during surgery? (Select all that apply.)

a. Warm atmosphere of the operating room
  b. Infusion of cool IV fluids
  c. Inhalation of cool anesthetic gases
  d. Exposure of body surfaces
  e. Lowered metabolism

Question 2

The patient's plan of care includes using the continuous passive motion (CPM) machine. Which statement indicates the patient needs for further teaching?

a. I marched in the Marines for 20 years, and now I'm marching flat on my back
  b. My new knee will be glad to rest at night.
  c. I can make my new knee stronger if I reset this thing to go faster and flex my knee more.
  d. I almost wish this CPM ran at night. The motor noise is soothing.

chereeb

Answer to Question 1

B, C, D, E
The infusion of cool IV fluids, inhalation of cool anesthetic gases, exposure of body surfaces, and lowered metabolism predispose patients to hypothermia during surgery. The operating room is kept cool to inhibit growth of organisms.

Answer to Question 2

C
The continuous passive motion (CPM) machine is used to provide movement to a joint in recov-ery. The apparatus is driven by a motor and requires no effort on the part of the patient or nurse to move the limb. It is usually left on all day and is discontinued at night while the patient sleeps. CPM is preset as to speed and the degree of flexion that is determined by the physician and should not be adjusted by the patient.