Author Question: Which statement by a 62-year-old patient who has had an above-the-knee amputation indicates that the ... (Read 27 times)

RYAN BANYAN

Which statement by a 62-year-old patient who has had an above-the-knee amputation indicates that the nurse's discharge teaching has been effective?

a. I should elevate my residual limb on a pillow 2 or 3 times a day.
  b. I should lay flat on my abdomen for 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a day.
  c. I should change the limb sock when it becomes soiled or each week.
  d. I should use lotion on the stump to prevent skin drying and cracking.

Question 2

The day after a having a right below-the-knee amputation, a patient complains of pain in the right foot. Which action is best for the nurse to take?

a. Explain the reasons for the phantom limb pain.
  b. Administer prescribed analgesics to relieve the pain.
  c. Loosen the compression bandage to decrease incisional pressure.
  d. Inform the patient that this phantom pain will diminish over time.

pami445

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The patient lies in the prone position several times daily to prevent flexion contractures of the hip. The limb sock should be changed daily. Lotion should not be used on the stump. The residual limb should not be elevated because this would encourage flexion contracture.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Phantom limb sensation is treated like any other type of postoperative pain would be treated. Explanations of the reason for the pain may be given, but the nurse should still medicate the patient. The compression bandage is left in place except during physical therapy or bathing. Although the pain may decrease over time, it still requires treatment now.