This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who is scheduled for a lumpectomy and axillary lymph node dissection tells the nurse, I ... (Read 33 times)

newbem

A patient who is scheduled for a lumpectomy and axillary lymph node dissection tells the nurse, I would rather not know much about the surgery. Which response by the nurse is best?

a. Tell me what you think is important to know about the surgery.
  b. It is essential that you know enough to provide informed consent.
  c. Many patients do better after surgery if they have more information.
  d. You can wait until after surgery for teaching about pain management.

Question 2

The nurse notes bilateral enlargement of the breasts during examination of a 62-year-old man. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Teach the patient how to palpate the breast tissue for lumps.
  b. Question the patient about medications being currently used.
  c. Refer the patient for mammography and biopsy of the breast tissue.
  d. Explain that this is a temporary condition due to hormonal changes.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

shewald78

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
This response shows sensitivity to the individual patient's need for information about the surgery. The other responses are also accurate, but the nurse should tailor patient teaching to individual patient preferences.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The first action should be further assessment. Because gynecomastia is a possible side effect of drug therapy, asking about the current drug regimen is appropriate. The other actions may be needed, depending on the data that are obtained with further assessment.

newbem

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

softEldritch

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library