This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which information should the nurse include in teaching a patient who is scheduled for external beam ... (Read 28 times)

cagreen833

Which information should the nurse include in teaching a patient who is scheduled for external beam radiation to the breast?

a. The radiation therapy will take a week to complete.
  b. Careful skin care in the radiated area will be necessary.
  c. Visitors are restricted until the radiation therapy is completed.
  d. Wigs may be used until the hair regrows after radiation therapy.

Question 2

Which patient statement indicates that the nurse's teaching about tamoxifen (Nolvadex) has been effective?

a. I can expect to have leg cramps.
  b. I will call if I have any eye problems.
  c. I should contact you if I have hot flashes.
  d. I will be taking the medication for 6 to 12 months.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

strudel15

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Skin care will be needed because of the damage caused to the skin by the radiation. External beam radiation is done over a 5- to 6-week period. Scalp hair loss does not occur with breast radiation therapy. Because the patient does not have radioactive implants, no visitor restrictions are necessary.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Retinopathy, cataracts, and decreased visual acuity should be immediately reported because it is likely that the tamoxifen will be discontinued or decreased. Tamoxifen treatment generally lasts 5 years. Hot flashes are an expected side effect of tamoxifen. Leg cramps may be a sign of deep vein thrombosis, and the patient should immediately notify the health care provider if pain occurs.

cagreen833

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

xiazhe

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library