This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In order to assist an older diabetic patient to engage in moderate daily exercise, which action is ... (Read 28 times)

Kikoku

In order to assist an older diabetic patient to engage in moderate daily exercise, which action is most important for the nurse to take?

a. Determine what type of activities the patient enjoys.
  b. Remind the patient that exercise will improve self-esteem.
  c. Teach the patient about the effects of exercise on glucose level.
  d. Give the patient a list of activities that are moderate in intensity.

Question 2

The nurse determines a need for additional instruction when the patient with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes says which of the following?

a. I can have an occasional alcoholic drink if I include it in my meal plan.
  b. I will need a bedtime snack because I take an evening dose of NPH insulin.
  c. I can choose any foods, as long as I use enough insulin to cover the calories.
  d. I will eat something at meal times to prevent hypoglycemia, even if I am not hungry.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

JYan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Because consistency with exercise is important, assessment for the types of exercise that the patient finds enjoyable is the most important action by the nurse in ensuring adherence to an exercise program. The other actions will also be implemented but are not the most important in improving compliance.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Most patients with type 1 diabetes need to plan diet choices very carefully. Patients who are using intensified insulin therapy have considerable flexibility in diet choices but still should restrict dietary intake of items such as fat, protein, and alcohol. The other patient statements are correct and indicate good understanding of the diet instruction.

Kikoku

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

TheNamesImani

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Computer programs are available that crosscheck a new drug's possible trade name with all other trade names currently available. These programs detect dangerous similarities between names and alert the manufacturer of the drug.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library