Author Question: The home health nurse teaches a patient with a neurogenic bladder how to use intermittent ... (Read 27 times)

sarasara

The home health nurse teaches a patient with a neurogenic bladder how to use intermittent catheterization for bladder emptying. Which patient statement indicates that the teaching has been effective?

a. I will buy seven new catheters weekly and use a new one every day.
  b. I will use a sterile catheter and gloves for each time I self-catheterize.
  c. I will clean the catheter carefully before and after each catheterization.
  d. I will need to take prophylactic antibiotics to prevent any urinary tract infections.

Question 2

A patient admitted to the hospital with pneumonia has a history of functional urinary incontinence. Which nursing action will be included in the plan of care?

a. Demonstrate the use of the Cred maneuver.
  b. Teach exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor.
  c. Place a bedside commode close to the patient's bed.
  d. Use an ultrasound scanner to check postvoiding residuals.

karlss

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Patients who are at home can use a clean technique for intermittent self-catheterization and change the catheter every 7 days. There is no need to use a new catheter every day, to use sterile catheters, or to take prophylactic antibiotics.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Modifications in the environment make it easier to avoid functional incontinence. Checking for residual urine and performing the Cred maneuver are interventions for overflow incontinence. Kegel exercises are useful for stress incontinence.