Author Question: The nurse determines that instruction regarding prevention of future urinary tract infections (UTIs) ... (Read 29 times)

Pineappleeh

The nurse determines that instruction regarding prevention of future urinary tract infections (UTIs) has been effective for a 22-year-old female patient with cystitis when the patient states which of the following?

a. I can use vaginal antiseptic sprays to reduce bacteria.
  b. I will drink a quart of water or other fluids every day.
  c. I will wash with soap and water before sexual intercourse.
  d. I will empty my bladder every 3 to 4 hours during the day.

Question 2

A 46-year-old female patient returns to the clinic with recurrent dysuria after being treated with trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) for 3 days. Which action will the nurse plan to take?

a. Teach the patient to take the prescribed Bactrim for 3 more days.
  b. Remind the patient about the need to drink 1000 mL of fluids daily.
  c. Obtain a midstream urine specimen for culture and sensitivity testing.
  d. Suggest that the patient use acetaminophen (Tylenol) to treat the symptoms.

jomama

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Voiding every 3 to 4 hours is recommended to prevent UTIs. Use of vaginal sprays is discouraged. The bladder should be emptied before and after intercourse, but cleaning with soap and water is not necessary. A quart of fluids is insufficient to provide adequate urine output to decrease risk for UTI.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Because uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTIs) are usually successfully treated with 3 days of antibiotic therapy, this patient will need a urine culture and sensitivity to determine appropriate antibiotic therapy. Acetaminophen would not be as effective as other over-the-counter (OTC) medications such as phenazopyridine (Pyridium) in treating dysuria. The fluid intake should be increased to at least 1800 mL/day. Because the UTI has persisted after treatment with Bactrim, the patient is likely to need a different antibiotic.