This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: When evaluating the effectiveness of preoperative teaching with a patient scheduled for coronary ... (Read 28 times)

Pineapplelove6

When evaluating the effectiveness of preoperative teaching with a patient scheduled for coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery using the internal mammary artery,

the nurse determines that additional teaching is needed when the patient says which of the following?
  a. They will circulate my blood with a machine during the surgery.
  b. I will have small incisions in my leg where they will remove the vein.
  c. They will use an artery near my heart to go around the area that is blocked.
  d. I will need to take an aspirin every day after the surgery to keep the graft open.

Question 2

A few days after experiencing a myocardial infarction (MI) and successful percutaneous coronary intervention, the patient states, I just had a little chest pain. As soon as I get out of here, I'm going for my vacation as planned.

Which reply would be most appropriate for the nurse to make?
  a. What do you think caused your chest pain?
  b. Where are you planning to go for your vacation?
  c. Sometimes plans need to change after a heart attack.
  d. Recovery from a heart attack takes at least a few weeks.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Mholman93

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
When the internal mammary artery is used there is no need to have a saphenous vein removed from the leg. The other statements by the patient are accurate and indicate that the teaching has been effective.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
When the patient is experiencing denial, the nurse should assist the patient in testing reality until the patient has progressed beyond this step of the emotional adjustment to MI. Asking the patient about vacation plans reinforces the patient's plan, which is not appropriate in the immediate post-MI period. Reminding the patient in denial about the MI is likely to make the patient angry and lead to distrust of the nursing staff.

Pineapplelove6

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

bassamabas

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Computer programs are available that crosscheck a new drug's possible trade name with all other trade names currently available. These programs detect dangerous similarities between names and alert the manufacturer of the drug.

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library