This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse teaches a patient about the transmission of pulmonary tuberculosis (TB). Which statement, ... (Read 27 times)

fnuegbu

The nurse teaches a patient about the transmission of pulmonary tuberculosis (TB). Which statement, if made by the patient, indicates that teaching was effective?

a. I will avoid being outdoors whenever possible.
  b. My husband will be sleeping in the guest bedroom.
  c. I will take the bus instead of driving to visit my friends.
  d. I will keep the windows closed at home to contain the germs.

Question 2

A patient is admitted with active tuberculosis (TB). The nurse should question a health care provider's order to discontinue airborne precautions unless which assessment finding is documented?

a. Chest x-ray shows no upper lobe infiltrates.
  b. TB medications have been taken for 6 months.
  c. Mantoux testing shows an induration of 10 mm.
  d. Three sputum smears for acid-fast bacilli are negative.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ergserg

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Teach the patient how to minimize exposure to close contacts and household members. Homes should be well ventilated, especially the areas where the infected person spends a lot of time. While still infectious, the patient should sleep alone, spend as much time as possible outdoors, and minimize time in congregate settings or on public transportation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Negative sputum smears indicate that Mycobacterium tuberculosis is not present in the sputum, and the patient cannot transmit the bacteria by the airborne route. Chest x-rays are not used to determine whether treatment has been successful. Taking medications for 6 months is necessary, but the multidrug-resistant forms of the disease might not be eradicated after 6 months of therapy. Repeat Mantoux testing would not be done because the result will not change even with effective treatment.

fnuegbu

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

cassie_ragen

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library