This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: When assessing a new patient at the outpatient clinic, the nurse notes dry, scaly skin; thin hair; ... (Read 36 times)

saraeharris

When assessing a new patient at the outpatient clinic, the nurse notes dry, scaly skin; thin hair; and thick, brittle nails. What is the nurse's best action?

a. Instruct the patient about the importance of nutrition in skin health.
  b. Make a referral to a podiatrist so that the nails can be safely trimmed.
  c. Consult with the health care provider about the need for further diagnostic testing.
  d. Teach the patient about using moisturizing creams and lotions to decrease dry skin.

Question 2

A patient with atopic dermatitis has a new prescription for pimecrolimus (Elidel). After teaching the patient about the medication, which statement by the patient indicates that further teaching is needed?

a. After I apply the medication, I can go ahead and get dressed as usual.
  b. I will need to minimize my time in the sun while I am using the Elidel.
  c. I will rub the medication gently onto the skin every morning and night.
  d. If the medication burns when I apply it, I will wipe it off and call the doctor.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bbburns21

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The patient has clinical manifestations that could be caused by systemic problems such as malnutrition or hypothyroidism, so further diagnostic evaluation is indicated. Patient teaching about nutrition, addressing the patient's dry skin, and referral to a podiatrist may also be needed, but the priority is to rule out underlying disease that may be causing these manifestations.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The patient should be taught that transient burning at the application site is an expected effect of pimecrolimus and that the medication should be left in place. The other statements by the patient are accurate and indicate that patient teaching has been effective.

saraeharris

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
:D TYSM

olderstudent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

Vaccines prevent between 2.5 and 4 million deaths every year.

Did you know?

In 1835 it was discovered that a disease of silkworms known as muscardine could be transferred from one silkworm to another, and was caused by a fungus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library