This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 75-year-old patient who lives alone at home tells the nurse, I am afraid of losing my independence ... (Read 42 times)

newyorker26

A 75-year-old patient who lives alone at home tells the nurse, I am afraid of losing my independence because my eyes don't work as well they used to. Which action should the nurse take first?

a. Discuss the increased risk for falls that is associated with impaired vision.
  b. Explain that there are many ways to compensate for decreases in visual acuity.
  c. Suggest ways of improving the patient's safety, such as using brighter lighting.
  d. Ask the patient more about what type of vision problems are being experienced.

Question 2

A patient who received a corneal transplant 2 weeks ago calls the ophthalmology clinic to report that his vision has not improved with the transplant. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Suggest the patient arrange a ride to the clinic immediately.
  b. Ask about the presence of floaters in the patient's visual field.
  c. Remind the patient it may take months to restore vision after transplant.
  d. Teach the patient to continue using prescribed pupil-dilating medications.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jessicaduplan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The nurse's initial action should be further assessment of the patient's concerns and visual problems. The other actions may be appropriate, depending on what the nurse finds with further assessment.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Vision may not be restored for up to a year after corneal transplant. Because the patient is not experiencing complications of the surgery, an emergency clinic visit is not needed. Because floaters are not associated with complications of corneal transplant, the nurse will not need to ask the patient about their presence. Corticosteroid drops, not mydriatic drops, are used after corneal transplant surgery.

newyorker26

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

Animal_Goddess

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library