Author Question: A 65-year-old patient is being evaluated for glaucoma. Which information given by the patient has ... (Read 18 times)

Garrulous

A 65-year-old patient is being evaluated for glaucoma. Which information given by the patient has implications for the patient's treatment?

a. I use aspirin when I have a sinus headache.
  b. I have had frequent episodes of conjunctivitis.
  c. I take metoprolol (Lopressor) daily for angina.
  d. I have not had an eye examination for 10 years.

Question 2

The nurse is observing a student who is preparing to perform an ear examination for a 30-year-old patient. The nurse will need to intervene if the student

a. pulls the auricle of the ear up and posterior.
  b. chooses a speculum larger than the ear canal.
  c. stabilizes the hand holding the otoscope on the patient's head.
  d. stops inserting the otoscope after observing impacted cerumen.

Animal_Goddess

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
It is important to note whether the patient takes any -adrenergic blockers because this classification of medications is also used to treat glaucoma, and there may be an increase in adverse effects. The use of aspirin does not increase intraocular pressure and is safe for patients with glaucoma. Although older patients should have yearly eye examinations, the treatment for this patient will not be affected by the 10-year gap in eye care. Conjunctivitis does not increase the risk for glaucoma.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
The speculum should be smaller than the ear canal so it can be inserted without damage to the external ear canal. The other actions are appropriate when performing an ear examination.