Author Question: An older patient is being discharged from the ambulatory surgical unit following left eye surgery. ... (Read 63 times)

skymedlock

An older patient is being discharged from the ambulatory surgical unit following left eye surgery. The patient tells the nurse, I do not know if I can take care of myself with this patch over my eye. Which action by the nurse is most appropriate?

a. Refer the patient for home health care services.
  b. Discuss the specific concerns regarding self-care.
  c. Give the patient written instructions regarding care.
  d. Assess the patient's support system for care at home.

Question 2

A patient's T-tube is draining dark green fluid after gallbladder surgery. What action by the nurse is the most appropriate?

a. Notify the patient's surgeon.
  b. Place the patient on bed rest.
  c. Document the color and amount of drainage.
  d. Irrigate the T-tube with sterile normal saline.

braelync

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The nurse's initial action should be to assess exactly the patient's concerns about self-care. Referral to home health care and assessment of the patient's support system may be appropriate actions but will be based on further assessment of the patient's concerns. Written instructions should be given to the patient, but these are unlikely to address the patient's stated concern about self-care.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
A T-tube normally drains dark green to bright yellow drainage, so no action other than to document the amount and color of the drainage is needed. The other actions are not necessary.