Author Question: A patient tells the nurse, I would like to use a home genetic test to see if I will develop breast ... (Read 30 times)

bobbie

A patient tells the nurse, I would like to use a home genetic test to see if I will develop breast cancer. Which response by the nurse is best?

a. Home genetic testing is very expensive.
  b. Are you concerned about developing breast cancer?
  c. Won't you be depressed if the testing shows a positive result?
  d. Genetic testing can only determine if you are at higher risk for breast cancer.

Question 2

When caring for a young adult patient who has abnormalities in the cytochrome P450 (CYP 450) gene, which action will the nurse include in the patient's plan of care?

a. Teach that some medications may not work as effectively.
  b. Teach about genetic risk for cystic fibrosis in any children.
  c. Suggest that the patient make heart healthy lifestyle choices.
  d. Discuss the need for screening mammograms starting at age 30.

kxciann

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
This response uses the communication technique of clarifying to further assess the patient's concerns. The other options accurately indicate information about genetic testing, but the initial response by the nurse should be focused on assessment.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The CYP 450 gene affects the metabolism of many medications, and they may not work as effectively or may have unexpected toxic effects. The CYP 450 gene does not affect risk for breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, or coronary artery disease.