This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse assesses a patient with chronic cancer pain who is receiving imipramine (Tofranil) in ... (Read 73 times)

corkyiscool3328

A nurse assesses a patient with chronic cancer pain who is receiving imipramine (Tofranil) in addition to long-acting morphine. Which statement, if made by the patient, indicates to the nurse that the patient is receiving adequate pain control?

a. I'm not anxious at all.
  b. I sleep 8 hours every night.
  c. I feel much less depressed since I've been taking the Tofranil.
  d. The pain is manageable and I can accomplish my desired activities.

Question 2

A patient who uses a fentanyl (Duragesic) patch for chronic cancer pain suddenly complains of rapid onset pain at a level 9 (0 to 10 scale) and requests something for pain that will work now.

How will the nurse document the type of pain reported by this patient?
  a. Somatic pain
  b. Referred pain
  c. Neuropathic pain
  d. Breakthrough pain

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Viet Thy

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Imipramine is being used in this patient to manage chronic pain and improve functional ability. Although the medication is also prescribed for patients with depression, insomnia, and anxiety, the evaluation for this patient is based on improved pain control and activity level.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Pain that occurs beyond the chronic pain already being treated by appropriate analgesics is termed breakthrough pain. Neuropathic pain is caused by damage to peripheral nerves or the central nervous system (CNS). Somatic pain is localized and arises from bone, joint, muscle, skin, or connective tissue. Referred pain is pain that is localized in uninjured tissue.

corkyiscool3328

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Gracias!

amit

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library