Author Question: A patient is scheduled for an endometrial ablation for extreme uterine bleeding. Which patient ... (Read 46 times)

kfurse

A patient is scheduled for an endometrial ablation for extreme uterine bleeding. Which patient statement indicates understanding of the long-term effects of this treatment?

1. My future menstrual cycles will be normal.
  2. My menstrual cycles will be irregular from now on.
  3. I will stop menstruating and I can't get pregnant now.
  4. I will need hormone replacement therapy to regulate my menstrual cycles.

Question 2

A female patient complains about increasing premenstrual symptoms over the past few years and thinks something must be wrong. The nurse realizes that this patient is experiencing which health condition?

1. early menopausal symptoms
  2. premenstrual dysphoric disorder
  3. interpersonal relationship difficulties
  4. normal pattern of premenstrual syndrome

Kimmy

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
In an endometrial ablation, the endometrial layer of the uterus is permanently destroyed using laser surgery or electrosurgical resection. It is performed in women for whom childbearing has been completed and who do not respond to pharmacologic management or D&C. This procedure usually produces amenorrhea. This procedure ends menstruation. Hormone replacement is not needed after this procedure.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is seen less frequently during the teens and 20s and reaches a peak in the mid-30s. Major life stressors, age greater than 30, and depression are risk factors associated with PMS. The manifestations being exhibited are not consistent with menopausal symptoms. There are no indications of interpersonal relationship concerns. Premenstrual dysphoric disorder is PMS of such severity that it has a psychiatric label. This severe form of PMS affects a small number of women and is not indicated by the patient's complaints.