Author Question: A patient is scheduled to have a vaginal examination and a Pap smear. Which patient statement ... (Read 24 times)

jrubin

A patient is scheduled to have a vaginal examination and a Pap smear. Which patient statement indicates understanding of the nurse's instruction concerning the test and preparation?

1. I cannot bathe for 36 hours prior to the examination.
  2. I should not douche the day before my exam.
  3. My period will not be a reason to defer my vaginal examination.
  4. My physician will use Vaseline to lubricate the speculum and prevent discomfort.

Question 2

A 40-year-old male has reported to the clinic with complaints of impotence. The nurse is reviewing the patient's health history. Which patient statements should the nurse further investigate?

Select all that apply.
  1. I take medications to help me sleep several times per week.
  2. I had the mumps when I was a boy.
  3. I had a vasectomy 4 years ago.
  4. I have had diabetes for several years.
  5. My wife has a history of cervical cancer.

vboyd24

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
The patient having a vaginal exam in which cells will be taken for testing will have a series of instructions to follow. The patient should be advised not to douche for 24 hours prior to the test. Tub baths should be avoided for 24 hours prior to the test. Menstruation and vaginal infections may warrant postponement of the testing. Vaseline is not water soluble and should not be used on the speculum if cells are going to be obtained for testing.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1, 4
The causes of impotence may be related to medication use, performance anxiety or chronic disease processes. The patient who takes tranquilizers or medications for sleep may experience impotence. Diabetes mellitus over time may cause vascular damage, resulting in impotence. Having the mumps may result in male infertility, not impotence. Having a vasectomy results in sterility, not impotence. The presence of cervical cancer in a partner is not linked to impotence.