This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is assessing the ears of a patient who is African American. Which assessment finding ... (Read 45 times)

Beheh

The nurse is assessing the ears of a patient who is African American. Which assessment finding should the nurse identify as abnormal?

1. During the Rinne test, the patient hears the sound by air conduction for an equal amount of time as by bone conduction.
  2. The patient is able to hear whispers from 18 inches away.
  3. The patient's cerumen is dark gray.
  4. The patient's tympanic membrane is pearly gray.

Question 2

The nurse is performing an assessment of an 82-year-old patient's eyes. Which patient statements should the nurse expect based on the patient's age?

Select all that apply.
  1. I've been having some drainage from the inside corner of my eye.
  2. My eyes feel so dry most of the time.
  3. I have almost fallen several times at home going down our basement stairs.
  4. I have this white circle around the color of my eyes.
  5. I have a hard time driving at night.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ksanderson1296

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
This patient has some conductive hearing loss. The patient with no conductive hearing loss hears the sound twice as long by air conduction as by bone conduction. The patient should normally be able to hear the nurse whispering from 12 feet away. People with darker skin tend to have darker cerumen. This is a normal finding. The tympanic membrane should look pearly gray. This is a normal finding.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2, 3, 4, 5
The lacrimal apparatus within the older patient's eye produces fewer tears. The eyes may look and feel dry. The older patient has an increased risk of falls as a result of changes in depth perception and adaptation to changes in light. A partial or complete white circle may form around the cornea (arcus senilis). With aging the lens loses elasticity, with reduced ability to change shape and focus light. The lens loses clarity and becomes thicker and increasingly opaque. Drainage from the puncta may indicate an infectious process and is not a normal age-related change.

Beheh

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

kjohnson

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library