Author Question: A patient is diagnosed with a lumbosacral spinal cord tumor. Which medications should the nurse ... (Read 143 times)

Kthamas

A patient is diagnosed with a lumbosacral spinal cord tumor. Which medications should the nurse expect to be prescribed for this patient?

Select all that apply.

1. morphine
  2. furosemide (Lasix)
  3. warfarin (Coumadin)
  4. amoxicillin (Amoxil)
  5. dexamethasone (Decadron)

Question 2

The nurse instructs a patient with herniated thoracic and lumbar disks about spinal fusion surgery. Which patient statements indicate that teaching has been effective?

Select all that apply.

1. Bone chips might be taken from my iliac crest bone.
  2. Holes will be drilled into my skull so that a brace can be placed.
  3. Bone chips will be wedged between the vertebrae to stabilize them.
  4. I will need to stay on bed rest because traction will be applied to my spine.
  5. A hollow titanium tube might be placed in my spine to replace a removed disk.

cloud

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1, 5
The patient with a spinal cord tumor is prescribed medications, typically opioid analgesics, to control pain and edema. Steroids such as dexamethasone (Decadron) are administered to control cord edema. Furosemide (Lasix), warfarin (Coumadin), and amoxicillin (Amoxil) are not indicated in the treatment of a spinal cord tumor.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1, 3, 5
Spinal fusion is the insertion of a wedge-shaped piece of bone or bone chips (usually harvested from the patient's ileac crest) between the vertebrae to stabilize them. A spinal fusion may also be performed through a spinal implant with a hollow titanium cylinder with holes, which is packed with grafted bone from a donor site and placed in the space where a disk is removed. Burr holes are not drilled into the skull for a spinal fusion. Spinal fusion surgery does not involve traction.