Author Question: A patient with a long leg cast is exhibiting signs of compartment syndrome. What should the nurse ... (Read 36 times)

Deast7027

A patient with a long leg cast is exhibiting signs of compartment syndrome. What should the nurse prepare to aid in the treatment of the patient?

1. extra pillows to elevate the casted extremity above the heart
  2. Doppler to assess the strength of peripheral pulses
  3. straps to wrap around the bivalved cast
  4. percussion hammer to assess reflexes for damage

Question 2

The nurse instructs an adolescent patient on the care of a sprain at home. Which patient statement indicates the need for further instruction?

1. I should put a heating pad on my leg as soon as I get home.
  2. I should avoid weight bearing on this leg for a couple of days.
  3. I should make sure to keep the ace bandage on my leg.
  4. I should prop this leg up when I'm sitting in a chair.

joshraies

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3

Compartment syndrome occurs when excess pressure in a limited space constricts the structures within a compartment, reducing circulation to muscles and nerves. Treatment can include removing the cast entirely or bivalving it (splitting it apart with a cast cutter) and securing the two sides with straps. Elevating the leg above the heart would compromise circulation. A Doppler could be used to assess pulses, and a percussion hammer to check reflexes, but these are not therapeutic treatments for compartment syndrome.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
The patient should be instructed to follow the acronym RICE for treatment of a sprain at home. This includes resting the extremity, applying compression, and elevating the extremity. These therapies should be used for 2448 hours. Verbalizing the need for a heating pad would indicate that the patient requires additional instruction.