This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient tells the nurse, After I leave here, I need to get to the dentist. My upper teeth are ... (Read 116 times)

Mr.Thesaxman

A patient tells the nurse, After I leave here, I need to get to the dentist. My upper teeth are hurting and I don't know why. What should the nurse do?

1. end the visit so the patient can get to the dentist
  2. assess the patient for a sinus infection
  3. reschedule the appointment
  4. tell the patient there is nothing wrong with the teeth

Question 2

A patient says, My nose is always congested and it just seems to get worse with the nasal spray I've been using. The nurse realizes that this patient is describing which manifestation?

1. incorrect use of the nasal spray
  2. acute sinus infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics
  3. adverse effect of the nasal spray
  4. rebound nasal congestion

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jlaineee

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Manifestations of sinusitis include pain and tenderness across the infected sinuses, plus headache, fever, and malaise. When the maxillary sinuses are involved, pain and pressure are felt over the cheek. The pain may be referred to the upper teeth. The patient has a medical need and is in a medical setting. It would not be appropriate to end or reschedule the appointment. Until an assessment is performed and a diagnosis is made or ruled out, it would be incorrect to tell the patient that nothing is wrong.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Chronic use of nasal sprays may lead to rhinitis medicamentosa, a rebound phenomenon of drug-induced nasal irritation and inflammation. The nasal spray is being used correctly. The worsening nasal congestion is not considered an adverse effect. No other signs indicate that the patient has a bacterial sinus infection.

Mr.Thesaxman

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

scottmt

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library