This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is diagnosed with pulmonary edema. What is a priority for this patient? 1. inserting a ... (Read 21 times)

A patient is diagnosed with pulmonary edema. What is a priority for this patient?

1. inserting a peripheral intravenous catheter
  2. requesting a prescription to medicate the patient for comfort
  3. monitoring the blood glucose level
  4. placing a pulse oximeter and administering oxygen

Question 2

Home care teaching is being completed by the nurse for a patient recovering from rheumatic fever. Which patient statement indicates that the teaching has been effective?

1. I will be sure to tell my dentist that I had rheumatic fever.
  2. I will try to focus on eating less protein and more fat so I will have more energy.
  3. I will avoid brushing my teeth so often and quit using mouth rinse because I have gingivitis.
  4. If my joints start to hurt again, I need to slow down, but I won't have to worry because I'm immune to rheumatic fever now.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pallen55

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Pulmonary edema is a medical emergency. Priority nursing actions focus on maintaining the airway and improving oxygenation, then breathing and circulation. Inserting an IV catheter would follow, although often, if more than one caregiver is present, this action can be done simultaneously. Medication would not be given until the ABCs have been addressed. The blood glucose level is not related to pulmonary edema.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Antibiotic prophylaxis for invasive procedures such as dental care is important to prevent bacterial endocarditis in the patient recovering from rheumatic fever. Dietary teaching focuses on a high-carbohydrate, high-protein diet to facilitate healing and combat fatigue. Maintaining good oral hygiene and preventive dental care are important to preventing gingival infections, which can lead to recurrence of the disease. Rheumatic fever is manifested by joint pain. One episode of rheumatic fever does not confer immunity to future episodes.

Did you know?

Carbamazepine can interfere with the results of home pregnancy tests. If you are taking carbamazepine, do not try to test for pregnancy at home.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Most fungi that pathogenically affect humans live in soil. If a person is not healthy, has an open wound, or is immunocompromised, a fungal infection can be very aggressive.

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library